Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Politics: Following the Illinois Attorney General Race: 2018 Round Two

Ever since I could first vote in 2010, I came up with a rule that I have always followed. The rule is this: you must vote for one Democrat, one Republican, and one third party candidate (this was originally green party candidate, but later amended).

You may correctly think that I do not like Republicans generally and may be shocked to learn that I have, indeed, voted for one in every general election. And one running unopposed is not a free vote. I have to vote for one who is running against a Democrat, or at least, a third party candidate. While you might have already guessed why I brought this up in this post, I should explain more.

You see, I’m wary of the Democratic candidate for attorney general, Kwame Raoul. He seems to have too many ties to the tobacco industry to be a good candidate. I could not support any candidate who has ties to tobacco. I’d sooner vote for a lifetime NRA member.

It sets off the fact that it might be a conflict of interest that he would take donations from them since there is a still ongoing case with these people donating to him with tens of millions of dollars at state. While we do not want any politician in this or any other state to be corrupt, the last person that we’d want to be corrupt or subject to conflicts of interest is the attorney general, considering how that is the state’s top prosecutor.

What are the problems with Erika Harold, the Republican candidate? Well, as far as I can see, there are none. I would never be someone blinded by party loyalty to vote for a horrible liberal just because that’s how I normally vote. She has the lawyer experiences that one would need to be an attorney general.

While I normally would prefer a candidate who has had an elective office in the past when I vote for some races, this is not one of them as she only needs to have experience in the courtroom. Plus, if J B wins the governor race and even if he doesn’t, I think that it would be a better check on the power of the state to have a Republican as the attorney general because it would keep the Democrats from being too powerful. All we can hope is that if she wins, she wouldn’t get too power hungry and go after whoever she wants to. But I doubt that would happen even if she does end up losing.


I would talk about the third party candidate in the race like Bubba Harsy, the libertarian, but I do not see a point in doing so. When it comes time for the general election in Illinois, there is only one logical vote: Erika Harold. I’ll vote for her in November and I endorse her so please vote for her if you are able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment