Monday, February 24, 2020

Politics: Are the Democrats Too Nice?

In my mind, at least, if not others, the Democrats might be considered the nicer party. Now this is not a bad thing per say, but some may wonder if it actually is in some ways a bad thing for the party to be as nice as they are. Some nice people get walked all over as they can’t realize that they are constantly being used by others in some way. This makes me wonder, are Democrats too nice in what they do? Are they even nice at all? I guess we will see and I will state in my own opinion what I think of this whole thing.

When the second Bush was president, the Democrats would eventually take control of both the house and the senate. They worked with him, despite him being a member of the other party. And things worked well even as partisanship began to rise.

Some say that the Democrats got too cocky as things moved along. In the first part of Obama’s presidency, for instance, some felt that we weren’t willing to work with the other party as much anymore as we worked to advance the future of much needed health care reform. But we were always seen as the party that was moving forward, in my mind, as the Republicans refused to work with Obama and were inexplicitly rewarded for it by winning the house back and then the senate and then the White House as well.

Maybe we weren’t mean enough when it came to besting a bully like Trump. But maybe we are doing better than the other party’s tactics. Michelle Obama said that when they go low, we should go high. We shouldn’t beat others by stooping to their level of indecency. We should do it with class and dignity.

Even though you might not hear about it on the news, there are tons of bipartisan bills that are being approved of during the Trump administration. People are still working with him and getting stuff done instead of throwing their hands up in the air and refusing to do anything since he is a member of the other party. That is what they should do, of course.

If Republicans continue to not work with the Democrats but the Democrats keep working with them, then we are doing something right in the end. We want to be on the right side of history even as this world and country continue to unravel.


So while I think that the Democrats can be too nice at times, I’m not sure that I want to see them in any other light. If they are the nicer party committed to getting things done, then I am sure that I want to see them succeed and continue to win office. If they lose their niceness, then I’m not sure if I could still support them in the end. It is up to them to continue to be the nicer party, even if it does result in the meaner side winning at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment