Saturday, July 18, 2020

Politics: Why Bipartisanship is More Common Than You Think

It may seem like bipartisanship is dying and you wouldn’t even be wrong to think that. But it is not over, ending, or done with. And it is more than the largely party line votes where just one person from the other party votes with or against them too. It is such a huge part of politics even still today. And the fact that most people don’t know this is a shame because we don't get much of that as we could out of common knowledge.

How do I know this? Well, it isn’t the news that covers this. I get updates from politicians a lot that talk about all of the bipartisan bills that they are working on. I get updates from members of both parties, actually, despite never signing up for ones from the Republican senators that I get them from. (That will teach me to email them about important issues.) The fact that I only know about these bills and progress being made because of these emails is what’s sad. I don’t hear about them on any news source and you’d think that it should be more of a focus than it is. But I’m often hearing about things that are important that both parties are working on.

One of the best examples of bipartisanship that I can think of right now in office is Doug Jones. Of course, he has to be that way since he’s a liberal in a red state. But he has done all sorts of bills that have been signed by the guy in the White House. And even when there doesn’t really have to be bipartisanship due to how you live in a safe district, there are still people working together at times. The stimulus that passed this year was a unanimous vote by the senate of all who were working there and able to vote at the time.

Sadly, there isn’t too much else to say. I wish that people could know that the two parties still work together in more common ways than people think or would realize. And I won’t be doing any more posts covering the other political parties like I have been since I’ve run out of ideas or things to post about here. I wish that I had more examples of the two parties working together and as bad as things are, they aren’t nearly as bad as they otherwise could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment