Friday, September 15, 2023

Politics: The Random Trump Ads Boycott

Ever since the insurrectionist was let back on YouTube and he could air ads on this site again, I was wondering how I could get back at them. While there is still more that I can do regarding that, things are more broad than they can be. I’ll start with what inspired this:

 

Daily Kos sometimes does a reel of their stories on something like a YouTube video with regular interruptions for ads. In July of this year, it was Trump promoting himself. Now anyone who knows anything about Daily Kos would know that they would never accept money from Trump. But they do rely on ad revenue and do allow randomized ads which gives Trump a chance to be promoted on their site so I gave it up for the rest of that month and all of the next. I will also give it up for Lent again in 2024.

 

I plan to do this with any site that I use. It doesn’t matter how much I rely on this site. In the off chance that it is imdb, the only site that I use to do cast updates for four of my blogs, this being one of them. I’d more or less have to either give up those blogs or temporarily do away without casts updates for a while. It all depends on if I feel that I have to have them done on certain dates or not. If they do, then I will still update them. Otherwise, I’ll skip doing these blogs and post a link to this blog post (unless it affects this blog) once the updates are back.

 

There were some issues with my mind as to how I could manage this with facebook. There were two times that it was close to appearing in my newsfeed. One of them had a supposedly Christian thing I had followed sometime all the way back when showing up in my newsfeed, but at the very top in the story section that I don’t care about too much. I blocked that group.

 

The other one was a photo of a Trump flag in a photo album that a friend had posted. I unfollowed this friend, but am not sure that this is the same thing as sharing it the traditional way that I would hate even more. While I did some more on facebook on those days, both times afterwards, I went without facebook for a bit after it. It is just hard for me to give it up during football season when I try to keep updates going in my Rams group.

 

As for YouTube, I have boycotted YouTube once briefly in 2018 and even then I still watched a single video that wasn’t on the site, yet was. I can and will give up YouTube channels. I may even unsubscribe from some of them if I was subscribed to them in the first place. I can watch any and all of them again. I also am not giving up the YouTube channels of Brian Tyler Cohen, Taskmaster, The Lincoln Project, Politics Done Right, The Odd Ones out, my sister’s, and others TBD. If any of them relate to a TV show, I would have to give that up for a while. Some might even relate to Celtic Woman.

 

I’m still not sure what facebook related thing I might give up for Lent next year. And it is worth noting that Disney Fandom retroactively joins Daily Kos on this list as well. I might have to just randomly give up the old issues of TV Guide that I am too slow with if that website has these ads. I have no idea what else might change. But this is a good starting point and I can always cover more of what happens in my Elsbeth blog once that starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment