Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Politics: Following the Illinois Attorney General Race 2018

Since there will be an open seat on the ballot for Attorney General this year, I thought it would be best to make a special post about the election in question. We should be lucky that we get to vote as to who this person will be instead of it being appointed and approved by people we vote for instead, giving us no say into who the person will be.

For reasons largely unknown at the time, Lisa Madigan, the incumbent attorney general, is not running for another term she was likely to win. Why would she do this? I don’t know. Maybe she wants to distance herself from her step-father, Illinois Speaker of the House, Mike Madigan. Or, and I want to stress that this is 100% speculation, Mike could be under investigation or need to be investigated and she wouldn’t want to do that. But Lisa could have a future in politics doing something else entirely. She could even go on to be president. But enough about her. Let’s look towards the candidates in the race, starting with the Democrats.

Pat Quinn is the former governor of this state. I still have no idea if the rumors that he was under investigation were complete BS or not. They might have been. I don’t know if he should return to public office or not. While I’m thinking that he wasn’t as bad a person now, I might be seeing things in rose colored glasses now that we have a new mess. In the state of Illinois, it is worth remembering that attorney general is third in line to the governorship. I don’t think that he should have this power of office, but that’s just me. Still, I don’t think he would win anyways.

Renato Mariotti is a former prosecutor who seemingly has not held elective office before. But this is a race where one shouldn’t need the experience of elected office in order to do a good job. But there is something that he or someone in his team did that really annoyed me. I didn’t know who he was and randomly wound up getting emails from him that I know I didn’t sign up for. I don’t even know how he got one of my email addresses. This is a major black spot for me against him. I don’t know if I’d vote for him if he wins the primary and I wouldn’t vote for him in the primary myself. Besides, as good as it is to be against the incumbent governor of Illinois and president of this country, I’d need more of a platform than that. At least he was a prosecutor at one point in time.

Scott Drury is an Illinois House member. He seems like he’s an anti-Democrat Democrat. Now that’s not a bad thing per say. It would be if he was still running for governor. But he’s not. When it comes to needing to prosecute the law breakers of the state, he’ll need to go after members of his own party. He could be the best person in this race.

Sharon Fairley doesn’t seem to have any political experience. She seems to go after police officers in some way, based on what her current job is. You might find more information about her online. (I think this is a her, but I might be wrong.) In the age of black lives matter, with many problems regarding police brutality, maybe making sure that police are held responsible isn’t that bad an idea. But we can’t go after people who we know normally protect lives. Are there some dirty cops in the system? Yes. Are there cops shooting people who they shouldn’t be? Yes. But we should remember that most of them are good people already. And don’t believe all of the television and movie stories.

Aaron Goldstein might be the person in the race with the biggest black spot against him, which is saying something since Pat Quinn is also in the race. I don’t think that he did anything bad, but he was Rod Blagojevich’s lawyer. Well, someone had to defend him. And Aaron might have put far more effort into the case than Rod ever did. (Then again, he might have seen this as an easy, open and shut case and was surprised like everyone was that the first case ended in a mistrial.) I don’t know if he should be granted the best of all the lawyer jobs in the state (and one that would be the opposite of what a defense attorney does), but I don’t know much about him. I’d still pass on him, though.

Kwame Raoul is an Illinois senator and has had experience prosecuting cases. But there is an issue with him regarding a potential conflict of interest regarding a tobacco company that was making contributes to him while they are at odds with the current attorney general. He might be a good candidate in the race, but I can’t tell for sure.

Nancy Rotering is the mayor of Highland Park. I can’t find any other information about her. One of the important parts to note that I’ll get to more on later is whether someone who has political experience or someone who has prosecution experience in the courtroom. I can’t find any proof that she was ever in the courtroom as a lawyer. That doesn’t mean that she wasn’t. I just have limited information and I’m not doing as much research as I probably could.

Jesse Ruiz is the Chicago Park District president. That’s all that I know about him or her. I don’t even know for sure the gender of some of these people as that’s how limited my information is. So I’ll switch to the two Republicans in the race.

Erika Harold is an attorney and may as well be the nominee with all the endorsements she has gotten from the Republican Party. Whether or not she’ll win the general election if she does win the primary might be her time in the Bush campaign, but I don’t know if people will care that much about the former president. Indeed, she may not prove much of an impact on the race that might as well a Democratic primary baring any potential problem from its winner.

Gary Grasso is a former mayor and current county board member. I did a poll that was clearly not in support of him and raised some good points about why he shouldn’t be elected, although I don’t remember what they are offhand. The Republican primary will come down in my mind to if people want someone with courtroom experience or someone who has held elective office. In most cases, I think that someone with experience should win. But attorney general might be the better choice to ignore if they’ve ever held office.


As I close this blog post, I might as well get to who I think should win from each side. I think that if you are voting in the Democratic primary, you should vote for Scott Drury, although Kwame Raoul might be a good choice too. On the Republican side, I’d vote for Erika Harold and not because she has a ton of endorsements. Remember that the primary is on March 20th. And as you vote, wonder if it should be state attorney generals like I think that it should be, or if it should be state attorneys general like so many places write.

No comments:

Post a Comment